MOOseum - Edwin D. Fry farm

  • June 26, 2016
  • 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
  • South Germantown Regional Park

The King Barn Dairy Mooseum wishes to announce that on Sunday, June 26, 2016 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM the Edwin D. and Susan C. Fry's Fair Hill Farm of Laytonsville, Md., will be honored at the King Barn Dairy Mooseum as the Featured Farm for the month of June.  Their farm was located at 5929 Sundown Road, on both sides of the street, about one mile east of Laytonsville.  Edwin and Susan bought this farm in 1936.  At 270 acres, it was considered to be a large operation.  Along with dairying, the Frys and their 5 children, Edwin C., George, Frederick, Amy, and Margery, grew corn, wheat, oats, and hay.  The farm shipped milk from 1936 to 1960.  They also raised vegetables, poultry, and hogs for family consumption.  During WWII they doubled the size of the garden, raised 40 hogs per year instead of 10, and increased the egg production by housing 600 chickens.  From the late 1930s to the 1950s this farm transitioned from work horses to tractors, from hand milking to vacuum milking, from ten gallon cans to a bulk milk tank, and from wheat threshing to combines.  Agricultural activities on this farm ended in 1987.  Edwin and Susan involved themselves in community service at the local, state and national levels.  They ardently supported Cooperative Extension, 4-H, and FFA, and were involved in The Maryland Farm Bureau and the National Farm Bureau Federation.  From the mid 1930s until 1953, Fair Hill Farm was used by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture to exhibit and demonstrate needed farm activities.  The Frys were also very active members of St. Paul’s Methodist Church.  In the honor of their parents, the 5 children established the “Edwin D. and Susan C. Fry Memorial Scholarship” at the Maryland 4-H Foundation.


P.O. Box 5158
Laytonsville, MD 20882
301-869-7222 FAX

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software